Thursday 28 January 2016

Top Ten Gifts For a Fellow Outdoor Lover (or Yourself)!

I really like top tens and such like so I thought why not include one right here at TeamFell! So lets go ahead and take a fleeting look at the top ten gifts you could get for someone just like yourself… or YOURSELF without breaking the bank!

Go on – surprise someone this week and make them happy!

10/. Buff



Everyone loves a buff, and believe it or not, despite looking slightly gimmicky they are actually extremely useful. Take my word for it, my Buff and I have been through a lot together. It has kept the chill at bay as a snood. It has wicked sweat from my forehead while providing some padding for my head torch during winter night runs. It has kept sub-zero temperatures away from my nose and snow off my face in blizzard conditions as a face mask when twinned with a hat. I think you get the picture.


9/. Mountain Rescue T-Shirt



I like this idea. Two reasons. The first, it’s a t-shirt. I like t-shirts. Second the small price tag you pay goes to the Mountain Rescue. I like the Mountain Rescue.

Go on click the link and spend a fiver on a T. You can’t go wrong, helping the MRT’s and getting a shirt to show your support for a fiver. NO BRAINER!


8/. Harvey Super walker Maps



I’m in the process of collecting these maps. They might not be everyone’s cup of tea but don’t knock it till you’ve tried it! I have, and I prefer them to standard OS Explorer maps. They are clear, colourful, waterproof, tough, light and have Wainwrights in bright red. What more can I say? Give them a go!


7/. SealSkinz



Loads of you will know about SealSkinz. I like these guys. They produce waterproof accessories like gloves, socks and hats. I can vouch for both the difference they make on wet cold day and for the quality that’s making mine last ages.



6/. Books!



Books can be both inspiring and motivating so here I’m recommending a couple of crackers!

First up, Reinhold Messner’s My Life at the Limit is a window into the mind set and mentality of a mountaineering great. As an interview it’s format makes it a light read ideal for those who can’t put a solid hour into a book but it certainly packs a punch. By the end you feel like you know the guy! 

Second is Heinrich Harrer’s The White Spider. His account of the first ascent of the north face of the Eiger oozes with intelligence and eloquence. It’s a book I couldn’t put down written by another inspirational fella! Follow this up with his classic Seven Years in Tibet for a less mountainous but no less influential travel account.





5/. Opinel No.8 Trekking Knife



Practical and beautiful? A rare combination I know. But in the Opinel No. 8 trekking knife, these two attributes come together to create a light, elegant and useful pocket knife - ideal for any outdoor pursuit. The 125th anniversary edition from the French maker features an atmospheric blue detailing on the handle, showing some classic mountain scenes. 


4/. Sony Xperia Z Series Mobile Phone



Next time you choose your new mobile, stop to think about how that piece of hardware could improve your experience outdoors? I recommend taking a look at the Sony Xperia Z series of phones.

I have a Z2 and love the thing and more recent improved models are available. The camera is fantastic for all the moments you make in the great outdoors. The Google Play store offers apps that count your steps, update you on the weather and even map your walks. The last feature I really like.

Multi-day trips? No electric? No worries! The Xperia’s Stamina and Ultra-Stamina modes make the battery last much longer, in Ultra mode it disables most modern features but if you need something to rely on to phone and text in emergency cases it will last!

The build quality is excellent and having the benefit of being dustproof and waterproof means it doesn’t mind going wherever you go!


3/. Alpkit BruKit



This punchy little piece of kit is ace for a few reasons. It is very similar to the popular JetBoil stoves but at a fraction of the cost. I love Alpkit stuff and this is a serious bargain! It all compresses down into the cooking pot making stowing this thing away in the pack a doddle. Perfect for the ultimate wild camp.


2/. Wainwright Fell Map



Team Fell have mentioned this lovely poster on the blog before, but it’s worth another. I never stop looking at it! If you have someone you loves the lakes this is perfect for a study or hallway! Get one framed and pay a stylish and practical homage to Cumbria. I almost forgot! Your purchase will also help to support Fix the Fells!  


1/. Alpkit Filo Down Jacket



Number one! It goes to Alpkit and their versatile Filo Jacket. I love mine. It was the inspiration for this top ten. Claire surprised me with one and I was buzzing. So I thought why not pass on the love and get other people out there to surprise their loved ones with items from this list! It will make there day, and you won’t break the bank!



 Cheers,

TeamFell











No comments:

Post a Comment